Practical Tips for Recruiting Young People
You can help young people kick start their career by making small changes to how you recruit. This includes how to change your existing recruitment practices to open up more opportunities for young people and give them a better chance at competing for job vacancies.
Online Learning for Employers
The Fair Work Ombudsman has developed a range of free online modules. These modules use video content and interactive quizzes to help employers and young workers understand their workplace rights and obligations as well as guide them through common work scenarios.
Each course takes around 20 minutes to complete. Users have the option of registering to record learning, pause and resume courses, access assessments and download completion certificates.
- Hiring employees - will guide you through the hiring process, from deciding whether to recruit, through to the first months of employment.
- Difficult conversation in the workplace: manager course - whether you are delivering bad news or talking to an employee about their behaviour at work, find out how to handle the conversation well, deal with the problem and get on with the job.
- Managing performance - helps you learn how to promote good employee performance in the workplace and address underperformance when it occurs.
Employers can use the Australian Job Search website to advertise jobs. An Employer User Guide is available for employers wanting to advertise their vacancies on the site.
Work Experience Help for Employers
Work experience for school students – help for employers lists resources and service providers that can help employers create quality work experiences for school students.
Apprenticeships and Traineeships
A range of relevant information and support is available for employers of an apprentice or trainee at the Australian Apprenticeships Pathways website.
The Australian Apprenticeships website provides information for Australian Apprentices and their employers.
Workplace Safety for Young Workers
These sites provide a range of resources to help you communicate with young workers and build their understanding of their rights and responsibilities when it comes to staying safe at work:
- WorkCover Queensland — Safety Information for Young Workers and their Employers
- Workcover Victoria - Health and safety for young workers
- WorkSafe ACT – Information for young and vulnerable workers
- NT Worksafe – Young worker program
- Safework NSW – At risk workers
Job Jumpstart website
Job Jumpstart is a one-stop-shop for young people seeking employment planning and job search information. The site aims to empower young people to take action to reach their employment goals.
The site offers a range of support for young job seekers, young workers and their parents and advisers. It includes dozens of printable workbooks and tip sheets, recruitment insights from Australian employers, and information and links to Government resources.
Visit the jobactive website.
Want to know more?
Email us at email@example.com.