The trial takes into account regional variations to help ensure that local economic opportunities are better promoted to regional Australians looking for work and employment services providers.
In trial regions, Employment Facilitators will work with Regional Development Australia (RDA) committees to enable local stakeholders to address employment issues.
Stakeholders could include local governments, employers, training organisations, not-for-profits, employment services providers and other community organisations able to provide employment and training related opportunities and assistance to unemployed people.
The trial will deliver:
- strong connections between regional stakeholders
- tailored employment initiatives that meet local needs
- the potential for improved regional employment outcomes
Local Employment Initiative Fund
A Local Employment Initiative Fund of $1 million will be available in each region.
Local stakeholders in the selected regions can develop project proposals for initial consideration by their local RDA committee. To facilitate a strong connection with employment programs, all projects will need to partner with at least one employment services provider.
Activities are expected to better connect employers with regional Australians looking for work, identify future employment, training or work experience opportunities, and help address local skills gaps.
Initiatives will be tailored to the opportunities and needs in each selected region. Examples might include:
- pre-apprenticeship placement programs
- using mature aged residents and local business leaders in a mentoring program
- preparing job seekers for up-coming scale infrastructure projects
- intern programs in organisations
- planning and delivering community events
- work experience programs that provide employment opportunities.
Selected regions will be announced mid 2018.
Early Access to Relocation Assistance to Take Up a Job
For eligible regional job seekers, the trial will also examine how earlier access to Relocation Assistance to Take up a Job can assist securing employment.
Who is eligible?
Eligible participants on a jobactive, ParentsNext or Transition to Work caseload within a trial region will be able to participate in projects funded through the Local Employment Funding Pool. This will count toward their program’s relevant Annual Activity/Participation Requirements.