The department’s skill shortage research program covers more than 80 skilled occupations on an annual basis.
- skill shortage information for Australia and each state and territory
- skill shortage information by occupation
- Ratings Summary – Labour Market Analysis of Skilled Occupations
- historical list of skill shortages in Australia
A paper outlining the methodology used in this research, including definitions for each rating, is available.
A rating of ‘shortage’ does not mean every job seeker will readily find employment - ratings should be viewed in the context of the full occupational analysis by reading the related occupational report.
The skill shortage research does not provide information for particular regions or industries, but the department produces a range of products which provide analysis of regional labour markets and industries.
Information about Australian regional labour markets is available from:
- Labour Market Information Portal
- Small Area Labour Markets publications
- Surveys of Employers’ Recruitment Experiences reports
Profiles of employment trends for occupations and industries are available from:
Want to know more?