The Department of Jobs and Small Business provides advice on small business policy issues and assists the Australian Government in developing an internationally competitive and productive environment for small businesses.
Small business policy
The Department of Jobs and Small Business is responsible for a suite of initiatives to support small business, enterprise development, and ensure that small business interests are reflected in Australia’s broader economic reform.
Assistance for small business
The Business.gov.au website is a single point of information and advice for business. It provides tips, tools, templates, how-to guides and referral services to help small businesses improve their business sustainability and management practices. It is accessible via web chat, online enquiry and telephone (13 28 46). Business.gov.au puts Australian businesses first and has simplified and streamlined access to information and advice. For the latest news and information for small business, subscribe to business.gov.au email updates or follow business.gov.au on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
The ASBAS program is the Government’s primary small business advisory initiative, delivered around Australia. It aims to enhance the capabilities of business advisory service providers to deliver low cost, high quality advisory services to small businesses. Visit business.gov.au/asbas to find more information on the program.
Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman
The Australian Small Business and Family Enterprise Ombudsman commenced operation on 11 March 2016.
The role of the ASBFEO is to:
- Advocate for small businesses and family enterprises;
- Provide access to dispute resolution services; and
- Ensure government policies are small business ‘friendly’.
The Ombudsman replaces the former office of the Australian Small Business Commissioner.
Small business reforms
- Achieving Best Practice Consultation with Small Business: a guide for government
This guide intends to encourage agencies to design policies or regulatory proposals that deliver improved outcomes for Australian small business.
- Backing Small Business: Creating jobs, opportunity and growth June 2018
- Australian Government payments to small business
- Australia is a member of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Working Party on Small and Medium Enterprises and Entrepreneurship.
- Australia is a member of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Small and Medium Enterprises Working Group and collaborates with other APEC working groups.
- Small Business campaign