Under Work for the Dole you can gain skills and experience that give back to the community and can help you find a job.
If you have been commenced with a jobactive provider for 12 months or more, you will need to take part in Work for Dole or another approved activity for six months each year you remain in employment services.
You need to take part in Work for the Dole to keep receiving your income support if you are in jobactive and have mutual obligation requirements. If you participate in the program, you will receive and extra $20.80 a fortnight to assist with expenses such as transport.
What do you get out of Work for the Dole?
By participating in Work for the Dole, you will undertake work-like activities and gain work experience that can help you find a job. This will give you the chance to:
- develop the skills that employers want—like team work, communication and reliability
- increase your confidence and show that you are ready to start working
- meet new people and make contacts who can be a referee for you when you apply for a job
- get involved in your local community.
What will you be doing?
There are many different activities that you may be able to do through Work for the Dole. Each will help you develop the skills that show you are ready to start work. Some examples of what you might do include:
- gardening and maintenance works
- conservation or environmental activities
- retail work
- hospitality services
- office administration
- warehouse duties.
The focus is to place you in an individual role to give you the best opportunity to demonstrate your skills to potential employers.
How long do you need to do Work for the Dole?
If you are in jobactive and have an Annual Activity Requirement, you will need to participate in an approved activity or a combination of activities for six months. One of the approved activities you can do to meet this requirement is Work for the Dole. There are different hourly requirements for participation in approved activities based on your age.
If you are aged:
- 18–49 years, you are required to do 50 hours per fortnight in an approved activity, such as Work for the Dole
- 50-59 years, you are required to complete 30 hours per fortnight of an approved activity, which can include volunteering for Work for the Dole
- 60 years to Age Pension, you are required to complete 10 hours per fortnight of an approved activity, which can include volunteering for Work for the Dole.
Job seekers who have a partial capacity to work (15-29 hours) or who are principal carer parents have different requirements for the following age groups:
- aged under 30 - 30 hours per fortnight of Work for the Dole and/or another approved activity
- aged 30 to 59 - 15-16 hours per fortnight of Work for the Dole and/or another approved activity
- aged 60 and over - no requirement.
What support is available?
Your jobactive provider will continue to support you to find a job while you undertake Work for the Dole. They will also help you prepare for starting Work for the Dole. This includes ensuring you do any workplace inductions or training and if you need specific items for your activity.
Want to know more?
- If you would like to find out what Work for the Dole activities are available to you, speak with your jobactive provider.
- Read the Work for the Dole - information for job seekers fact sheet
- Read the Keeping you safe at Work for the Dole - information for job seekers fact sheet